Hiking with my dog for the first time

gardnergirl

My husband and i are backpacking the NCT just north of St. Ignace Michigan in a few weeks.  We want to take our 1yr old American Bulldog with us.  Any tips on backpacking with dogs?

• Like 2

My husband and i are backpacking the NCT just north of St. Ignace Michigan in a few weeks.  We want to take our 1yr old American Bulldog with us.  Any tips on backpacking with dogs?

gardnergirl.........

I have several suggestions.  First read Trekking With Canines from TrailGroove Magazine, Issue 1, page 53.   

Second, read my 4 part article The Making of a Trail Dog  (again, from here at TrailGroove) from last year for additional ideas.

I think  these two articles will get you started.  Make sure your dog is physically ready for the trail by first taking some shorter practice hikes.  My concern is that a 1 year old dog may not be ready yet for the trail.  

I know these sweet natured dogs are often unfairly maligned.  My concern on the trail would be about the dogs legs and it's breathing capability.  Ask your vet if a 1 year old dog may have any leg issues, ie are the leg bones fully mature.  Like my favorite breed (the Newfoundland) the American Bulldog is susceptible to hip dysplasia, so again take it easy .  

The somewhat shorter nose of a bulldog means they can have difficulty breathing.  Again, speak to your vet about these questions or any other concerns he or she may have.  

On the plus side, the American Bulldog (somewhat like the boxer) is a natural athlete in the dog world.  My wife's niece has one and it can literally run circles around my dogs.    

Hiking/backpacking with a dog is kind of like hiking/backpacking with children.  It is incredibly fun, but also is a real challenge!  Just take it easy to start.  Many dogs are not natural trail dogs, but can develop with lots of love and patience.

Good luck, hope to hear how you are doing.  I know you'll have a great time!  I'm still working with my rescue dog Truman and plan on writing a follow up to The Making of a Trail Dog later this year.  I believe it is the best thing I have ever written.

Gary Meyer

Kansas_River_August_2015_021.thumb.JPG.1Truman hiking the Kansas River Trail, August 2015

• Like 1

Gary, thank you for that advice it is really helpful.  Luckily my dog is a scotty type AB and therefore has a longer snout so the breathing isnt an issue.  I just happen to work for my vet ;) so I will definitely ask him about the legs.  The little i have talked to him so far he thinks Frankie will be just fine.  We are most likely only doing about 8-10 miles/day and we already walk 3-5 daily with no issues just to keep the dog somewhat calm lol!  I will read those articles after work tonight.  I do have one more question, it may be covered above, how do you normally pack food for your dog?

frankied.jpg

• Like 1

Gary, thank you for that advice it is really helpful.  Luckily my dog is a scotty type AB and therefore has a longer snout so the breathing isnt an issue.  I just happen to work for my vet ;) so I will definitely ask him about the legs.  The little i have talked to him so far he thinks Frankie will be just fine.  We are most likely only doing about 8-10 miles/day and we already walk 3-5 daily with no issues just to keep the dog somewhat calm lol!  I will read those articles after work tonight.  I do have one more question, it may be covered above, how do you normally pack food for your dog?

frankied.jpg

gardnergirl..............

Great to read your response, it sounds like you have the vet issue well covered.  I did not know your level of involvement with your dogs health care, so I was being a bit cautious.  Since dogs are a member of the animal kingdom (of course!) some folks just assume they will just naturally be great in the outdoors.  The truth is, some are and some are not natural trail dogs.  Again, it looks like you have the situation well in hand!

As far as food goes, I have my dog carry dry dog food  in a dog backpack.  First I put the dry food in two sealed and waterproof bags, then just allow my canine friend carry their own food.  The dry food works great in a dog pack, as it can shift around as the dog hikes by my side.  Don't overload the dog, and make sure he gets plenty of rest periods without the pack on.  The plastic bags are in case your dog decides to cool off in a nearby creek or pond.  If you go with the dog pack idea, make sure you trail test it first, some dogs don't like wearing a pack.  By the way, I only use dry food supplemented with protein (chicken) on the trail; at home I make my own dog food so as to feed my crew fresh and healthy food.

So food for me has not been a problem. but water is another matter.  You'll see from The Making of a Trail Dog, I don't allow my dogs to drink from streams or creeks as I am concerned about the quality of the water they are drinking.  So that means I have to treat the water, boil, filter, or carry additional water for my dog(s).  Other people just allow their dogs to drink untreated water, so it's up to you.  Always remember that dogs don't sweat like humans, so they pant to cool off.  This means they get really thirsty, and need a good water source.  Hopefully the days of your trip won't be too warm, allow rest time in the shade for you and your dog. 

Read the articles and get back to me with any additional thoughts.  Hope again you have a great time, Frankie looks like a real sweetheart!

Gary Meyer 

• Like 1

Gary, thanks again for all the information.  I most likely wont let my dog drink from the streams and rivers.  I have seen way too many Giardia dogs at work and that is one mess I dont want to deal with, at home or on the trail ;)  We are trying a pack for him this weekend to see how he does.  I've put jackets on him before and he tolerates them but there is no weight added there.  Once we get his pack we are taking him on a short day hike to see how he does.  He love's to walk and run and we've taken him on local trail walks before but nothing more than 2-3 miles.  He is barely a year old and still gets that puppy brain from time to time lol!  so really that is my biggest concern.  He is not always a good boy off leash if something more interesting comes along so we may not be able to let him run as much as I would like.  We still have 3 weeks before we leave so time to figure things out

• Like 1

People don't  realize that dogs become ill from Giardia just like we do.  Again, the thought is that dogs are animals and therefore immune from such influences. As you can report from first hand knowledge; DOGS GET SICK FROM GIARDIA and other water borne virus and bacteria.

Again, good luck and hope you have a great time.

Gary M